Tuesday 29 June 2010

Thankyou Little Blossom


Such a perfect little thing! So English, so Summery, so prolific! It is weighing the hedgerows down! I watched it swoosh past the train on Sunday and just wanted to jump off and start gathering!

So on to the tale of the Elderflower!

I always miss it....always! I talk about it endlessly and then never quite get there! Well Mr B and I had a bit of a barny.....one where we didn't make up before sleep....grrrrrr! He left very early for work (5am) so it was not till I opened the door at 6pm did I see him again! There he was all green with pollen, random bits of shrubbery sticking out of his beard, a big satisfied grin on his face and a plastic bag held outright! Full of Elderflowers!
Now that, that is L.O.V.E. x

So I followed Hugh F.W.'s recipe for Elderflower Champagne!

Makes about 6 litres

Ingredients

  • 4 litres hot water
  • 700g sugar
  • Juice and zest of four lemons
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • About 15 elderflower heads, in full bloom
  • A pinch of dried yeast (you may not need this) I did...perhaps this is due to when it was picked as I think that does affect natural yeasts that are needed to get the fermentation going?
It is not a classy process and if like me you had it in the kitchen, it is a little unsightly......however look at what we have now!
Bottles of flowery, sprightly, Summery Bubbles! Pop one in your basket, with a punnet of fat June strawberries, a loaf of lemon cake and your tartan blanket! Picnic Bliss!

Tip:

M&S have lovely vintage style, nostalgic 'Pop' bottles! Save these up and they are just perfectly pretty labelled up with your Vintage in!
Cheers, MrB x

4 comments:

LissyLou said...

lovely!! and love love love the outfit today xx

Jen Walshaw said...

We made elderflower cordial at the weekend, I have popped it into icecube bags and will add it to lemonage as frozen cubes. Yum

LPFish said...

Everything about you is PERFECT.
I am off to M&S (scratch that, i am sending my Mum in - Town is waaayy too far for me)
I am making Elderflower Cordial this week and now, maybe the champagne too??
Save some for me .... does it keep?
MrB - forgive him. He is but a mere male....

fruit exports said...

Your way of explaining everything in this piece of writing is really fastidious, every one be able to easily be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

----------------------
franchise for exports | cattle exports | livestock exports