Saturday 1 August 2009

Friday is VEG BOX day...

I had just finished vacuuming the entire house and i even managed to mop the kitchen floor (i know, Knight me) when the Fortnightly "Veg Box" arrived :) We buy tomatos, by the hundred, weekly... they are like sweets in my house. ManFish and ChildFish eat them on a continual grazing routine, like small house trained cows...
These HUGE field mushrooms will be eaten at their best: lightly fried on a low heat with butter, garlic, a splash of water - to keep them fat. Popped into a toasted ciabatta roll with a splodge of organic mayo - veggie heaven!
I get Fruit in my 'Veg Box' too.... and milk and eggs and Apple Juice... i love the fact, that no matter how scatty I am (and I am quite scatty!) there will be food, every fortnight, at my back door. There is a sneaking suspicion we might starve if not, as i have a life threatening allergy to Supermarkets....
AND, because i am the way i am, i left all the veg in its box outside (cleaning anything being LAST on my agenda, especially after having vacuumed AND mopped floor today) i decided to use this book>>>>>> to make some stuff.
This is one of my bestest all time cookery books. I got it from Lakeland for about £4.99 and i swear by it people. You want a preserves book? This is THE ONE x

And these chalky fat bulbs were sat on the top of the Veg Box... Beetroot!! a challenging vegetable i feel...
I was all intent on pickling them ready for Winter but then i found a great recipe in above book for "Beetroot and Orange Preserve"
Yes! Of course i made it - there and then! Whilst my 5yr old and her chum played in the paddling pool (one eye on the chutney / one eye on the dog's drooling / half an eye doing 'health and safety' on the kids...)
I have photographed the whole lot and i'll show you next week.
I also made Lemon Curd for my Nanna... so that is two NEW exciting food posts to follow soon! And, reading this all back, it would seem i have 2 and half eyes!
I LOVE this place, thanks for coming x

6 comments:

Devonia said...

I have always wanted a "veg box" delivery. I love picking and preserving, it is so nice to open something in the cold winter months and be reminded of summer. Just a bit of heads up beetroot is a task to pickle. Did it for the first time last summer, with all the boiling and peeling and all that purple, it ends up everywhere! but it is worth it! and do try it! but there might be a moment of " why the F did I start this?" Happy pickling! x

menopausalmusing said...

I made the pretzels...... pretty damned good!:O)

LPFish said...

yippee! Don't reeeeaallly make the stuff from here - we are nutters who just make it all up!!

Pomona said...

Can't wait for the lemon curd demo - that takes me right back to my childhood!

Pomona x

Mrs B said...

I can't stop drooling over that picture of your kitchen! It is gorgeous! the wood table, the doggie basket, the lemons.....all so delicious! Can I come and stay?! x

Realicoul said...

HA HA HA 'House trained cows' made me choke on my bru! Lol that mental image when i read that really did give me the giggles ha ha and my beetroot is almost ready..bit a face squirm when i imagine it with orange but ill give it go :)