Saturday 8 August 2009

When Life hands you Lemons...

I have 2 absolutely MUST have flavours in my life that make everything OK in the world:
Vanilla and Lemons. MMmmmm.
One is as soft and comforting as the other is sharp and ascerbic (Much like my personality me thinks!)
I alway have a huge bowl of lemons in the kitchen and they are the staple ingredient to so many things... Lemon Curd being one. I make this Lemon Jam / Lemon Cheese / Lemon Preserve for ME and my NANNA as we both love it. It really is quick and easy to make:
3 lemons
200g Caster Sugar
115g diced unsalted butter
2 large eggs
2 large egg YOLKS
2 standard jam jars - this list makes 2 jars!


Get a pan of water on the gentle boil. A taller pan works well and you don't need too much water. On 'top' of the pan you're now going to place a heatproof bowl in which to heat the ingredients so you don't want water bubbling up over the edges.
Grate the lemon RINDs into the bowl. Then add the juice of both lemons.
Add the sugar and stir and the butter... keep stirring it all till it dissolves nicely.
Beat together the 2 full eggs and 2 egg yolks. You're now going to add the eggs to this gently heating bowl through a sieve so you might need a metal spoon to help push the eggs through.
Stir the ingredients gently and slowly for maybe 8 mins? The mixture should be smooth and glossy and when you lift the wooden spoon from the pan the mixture should 'coat' the back of a spoon.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool ever so slightly.
You need your jars sterilized really. The Curd will preserve for longer and without risk of bacterial interference.
Cover with a wax disc and seal with a lid!
Keep in the fridge and use within 3 months.
Never eaten Lemon Curd? You're missing out!
Would you call me a greedy pig if i tell you i eat this spread on Lemon Drizzle Cake!? It is also divine on American Style Breakfast Pancakes..... or spread on toast... on a slice of bread and butter... as a cupcake topping?
LEMONS are the gift of the gods!
(and i score extra points for giving 1 jar to me Nanna)

4 comments:

Mrs B said...

or a dollop inside a warm poppy seed cupcake!! It is much simpler that I ever thought! Think that may well be Sundays activites x

Pomona said...

Looks absolutely delicious! And takes me right back to my childhood - I used to love lemon curd and cream on bread. I think I will skip the cream this time round!

Pomona x

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

mmmmmm i am starving now after reading the last few posts!! fab blog keep up the good work :-)
Lesley x

Unknown said...

this looks a bit good! I've never had lemon curd before but I think I'd love it.