Wednesday 12 August 2009

I Know What I Want.....


But sometimes your not sure how to go about it, can't find a recipe for it, don't have the ingredients for it......

The Answer

Experiment!

Inspired by the lovely MsFish I too made lemon curd! I am so proud! I have never eaten, let alone, made lemon curd! I am in love! It is a passionate affair!
I keep asking everyone I know, man woman and child....'do you love lemon curd'? It would seem that it provokes responses as passionate and opposing, as in the enduring Marmite debate!

What I really wanted was something wholesome, moreish, non sweet and chunky to spread it on. Not bread (although it is pretty fabulous on warm, thick, white toastie toast! Ooooooh can already sense the autumn mornings....me and my lemony pal and lots of toast and a fresh, hot pot of tea), not sweet muffins, not cake (for me, in this unusual case!) and although lovely on oatcakes I wanted something more substantial. I searched for a couple of days trying to find a recipe that would fit the bill. Then it dawned on me while washing the dishes (like it happens!), wholemeal scones!
They are wholesome, rich, chunky and when adapted to contain poppy seeds and no sugar or fruit they would be the perfect base for the sweet, custardy, luscious lemony lemon curd!
I had two 'goes', one where I used only wholemeal (self raising flour) and one where I followed good old Delia and used half white and half wholemeal....both with the additional 25g of poppy seeds and no spice or fruit. Of course, in the name of experimentation I had to sample one of each!
All wholemeal flour gives you something that tastes more bready, less of the doughy softness of a scone. The half and half, although not quite as wholesome, (to my mind....remember I was after something guiltless to pile my new vice on to!!) it has more of that warm, weightiness of a scone, just delicious, the poppy seeds providing a nutty flavour and texture....(which gets me thinking oooooooh wonder what walnuts would be like in these....are they still scones...etc etc!)

Break free....adapt, experiment, make something that is just right for you.....or make heinous mistakes and laugh (like my garlic, chickpea, lime juice fiasco)!

P.S. Satisfaction Achieved!

This is the most sublime snack with a cup of tea! Warm up your scone, slather a thick layer of cream cheese on and apply "lashings" of lemon curd (a la Famous Five!) Eat in a brief interlude of peace and quiet wherever you are and just savour the moment!

x
Adapted from Delia Smiths Wholemeal Scone recipe.

7 comments:

Louise Kloster said...

I lurrvvveeeee lemon curd and I cant wait to try out Ms Fish recipe at the weekend very exciting. Now of course I have to make the wholemeal scones to go with the curd!

Two Truly Scrumptious Ladies said...

oh I just found the BEST way to have it!! Warm up your scones with a quick blast in microwave and slather a fat dollop of cream cheese on, followed by 'famous five' esque "lashings" of lemon curd! Just bloomin gorgeous! x going to post a ps picture now!! x

Louise Kloster said...

Love it!

LPFish said...

it's me... msFish,,,, glad you like! I was sure no-one was going to love lemon curd more than me... i was wrong! we ate a jar on pancakes t'other eve...

Pomona said...

That looks yummy!

Pomona x

meplusmolly said...

All looks blooming yummy to me! love lemon curd ;0 x

menopausalmusing said...

I swear I could feel the pounds creeping onto my ever expanding hips as I read this..... what the heck, I will make the scones with poppy seed, they will make a lovely change. :O) x

PS: As I scrolled down to write the word verification I caught sight of that wonderful photo of you two truly scrumptious ladies and it made me laugh. You are such fun together. What a team.